Man Sets His House On Fire After Cooking Steak In Toaster Unsatisfied With Insurance Payout

Man Sets His House On Fire After Cooking Steak In Toaster Unsatisfied With Insurance Payout

Culinary experimentation has gone wrong. A New Zealander set his house on fire while trying to cook a steak, not in a pan, but a toaster.

The man, whose identity is unknown, wanted to cook himself a steak and fries for dinner, reports the New Zealand news site Stuff. For cooking his piece of meat, he curiously chose the toaster. At the height of recklessness, he took a few minutes to go buy fries in a take-out restaurant.

When he returned home, his house was on fire. While cooking in the toaster, the steak probably released some fat, creating a short circuit and thus setting the appliance on fire. The fire, which quickly spread, caused serious damage to the house, which the man shared with his partner.

Man Sets His House On Fire After Cooking Steak In Toaster Unsatisfied With Insurance Payout

DISAGREEMENT ON COMPENSATION

He made use of his insurance, which paid him 418,000 New Zealand dollars (about 250,000 euros) in compensation, the maximum the couple could hope to receive with the policy taken out. Too little for the man, for whom this amount was insufficient to replace the house.

He demanded an additional 200,000 dollars (120,000 euros), which he was refused.

This stupid domestic accident, with dramatic material consequences, allowed the victim’s insurance company to recall common-sense advice.

“Never leave a cooking unattended, even if you think you will only have it for a minute,” implored a company official. “And please use your devices for the purposes for which they were designed. Toasters are for bread. ”